Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Crop Top

Top/Skirt: Nicole by Nicole Miller (on sale); Jacket: Wrangler (my mom's); 
Heels: Jimmy Choo (gift);Bangles: Siplada; Millsaps/Banana Republic; Shades: ULTA; 
Earrings: Silpada; Nail Color: Essie Sure Shot

 The crop top. It's everywhere. I mean everywhere! I haven't seen this many since the 90s when Clueless made them popular. And, it was a trend I expected to fully ignore. Why you ask? Because I'm 40. Because I have a pooch. Because I'm 40! I just didn't feel that at 40 I could pull off the crop top. (Just like you won't see me wearing a bikini ever again in my life!) 

Then I saw this little skirt and top in an ad while reading one of my many fashion mags. I immediately ear marked the page! The colors and print remind me so much of Clover Canyon, but less expensive and a little more forgiving in the waistline. (Their line appears to run very slim.) And it was a crop top that someone like me could possibly pull off.

Styling Tip: I truly believe that anyone can pull off the crop top, if styled appropriately. Because the skirt is high waisted, the crop top doesn't show skin, which was my main concern. If I were to wear this top with jeans, which I plan to do, I would ensure that my jeans were high waisted as well. It's all about proportions. Just be aware of the amount of skin you show, or in my case, don't want to show.




These pieces are from the Nicole by Nicole Miller line at J.C.Penney! That's right! A cute, chic, trendy look from J.C.Penney! I have readers and friends tell me all the time that they can't afford to shop. I'm here to tell you you can! This little outfit cost me $50. And you can wear each piece separately, so you can really justify the cost.

 

I am so happy with this look! I love that I am able to style a current trend while keeping it office and age appropriate. This will definitely be something I wear all spring and summer long!

No comments: