Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Look Over Your Shoulder


Dress: Bar III via Macy's; Belt: The Limited;
 Shoes: Steve Madden Luxe via DSW;
Clutch: Kate Spade; All Jewelry: Silpada

Saturday night we attended a bridal shower for our friends Julie and Danny and I really wanted to look chic. Not sure that I look chic, I could never really admit that out loud, but I do think I pulled off festive! I love the one shoulder trend and it's been a part of my wardrobe for about three years. My first one shoulder dress was actually made for me out of red silk shantung. I wore it on a trip to NY in 2008 and I felt like such a trendsetter!

This one shoulder number is from a line at Macy's called Bar III and it's actually the second piece I've purchased from their collection. I love that it's trendy but something I'll still wear it after the trend has disappeared. Those looks are true investments. The dress is very simple with just an elastic waist so I added this Obi belt for a little more drama. I love the "wow" factor. Again, it's all about that one accessories that makes an outfit go from cute to fabulous!


Because the belt was the true focal point, I kept the other accessories to a minimum. I added five small bangles, a simple pair of hoop earrings and my red straw clutch. I couldn't decided on shoes, and wasn't in love with these, but I went with my strappy zipper heels. I really wanted a cute wedge which I still can't believe I don't own. Maybe next year.


I do have to admit that these are some of my favorite photos to date. I still had that air of confidence held over from Friday when I wore my magic jeans. Plus, anytime I get my hair blownout I feel a little bit better about myself. I just don't find natural curls to be as sexy as a the look I get from straight. That Jeff sure does know his way around a blow dryer and a round brush!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

You look gorgeous and glamorous!

Jennifer said...

Love this outfit! How would you recommend that this be transitioned for a fall cocktail party? Going to Sonoma in October and I need three dinner party/cocktail party outfits.....

Style My Way said...

Hey Jennifer! Funny you should ask because I was thinking the exact same thing. I was thinking of adding a quilted leather jacket for fall. Depending on how dressy the event it is, would make for a great standout look. Replace the red belt with something that shimmers. Anthropologie has a darling beaded version that I'm obsessed with! Replace open weave heels with a peep toed bootie or pair with tights and tall boots. Hope that helps!

Jennifer said...

Thank you! I will play around with a few of your suggested items and have you take a look. The beaded belt sounds adorable. My only trouble with Anthropologie is that there is some sort of magnetic force that pulls me to knick knacks!

Style My Way said...

Here is a link to the belt. Go in and head straight for the belts! I know exactly what you mean. That store is just amazing!
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=19119239&catId=ACCESSORIES-BELTS&pushId=ACCESSORIES-BELTS&popId=JEWELRYACCESSORIES&navCount=12&color=020&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&isSubcategory=true&subCategoryId=JEWELRYACCESSORIES-BELTS-WIDE